Josephine Brinckloe
Yesterday we received the news that our dear Grandmommy had passed away after a wonderfully long and influential life. She returned home to be with Granddaddy who paved the way for her a few years ago. I'm sure she also is able to spend some time with Jacob and Oakley, our nephews who we also had the privilege of knowing...albeit a short time.
One of my most cherished experiences with Grandmommy and Granddaddy was just a few months after Alisha and I were married. We made a trip west after we graduated, and spent a few relaxing days with them in their home. One evening, we pulled out the HUGE scrapbook they always had, and poured through every picture, journal entry, flyer, and note in there. Grandmommy and Granddaddy stopped on on each page, giving us an in-depth view of their experiences throughout their lives. I felt like we got to know them so much better that night than we ever had before.
On Saturday, we planted our first bush in our yard. Fittingly, it is an English Boxwood...one of Grandmommy's favorites. We are dedicating that bush to her, and every time we walk down our cobblestone path to the mailbox, we will smell the sweet fragrance that I have grown to love, as it speaks of memories of my grandparents. I will post a picture of it when I get a chance to take one.
To Grandmommy: Thank you for your legacy. Thank you for your love. We are better people for ever knowing you, and the people you have touched in your lifetime are countless. We are so grateful to have had you in our lives, and pray that we will live our lives in a way to honor you. We will miss you dearly, but know of the great Plan of our Heavenly Father, which gives us the opportunity to meet again.
So...until we meet again....
Love, Mike, Alisha, TJ, Nate, and McKay
(P.S. Thank you to Geoff for the picture, which I 'borrowed' off his blog. :)
2 comments:
Well said.
Such beautiful thoughts! It was a precious experience to be with my siblings at her bedside during her last weeks. She sang to us and we sang to her. She recalled wonderful memories and laughed together. How grateful I am for the treasured memories of my childhood and the stellar example our parents were to us. I miss our phone calls so much. Their legacy does live on as you said; it was so special sharing the memorial events with your family, Alisha and Michael.
Post a Comment